Wednesday 16 May 2012

Ace of Diamonds

Knowing that we were having friends over for a long weekend and trips to London and Dublin planned for this month, I did wonder if I was being a bit optimistic in signing up for Jenna's Play mini quilt challenge. It seems though that deadlines really do concentrate the mind as I have just put the finishing touches to my Smart Girl's Ace of Diamonds mini quilt. There were lots of firsts in this for me - my first mini quilt, my first challenge and my first paper-pieced design, so to say I am delighted is definitely an understatement.

There were lots of challenges in the making of this quilt not least of all working out the paper-piecing design, so I am thrilled that it has turned out almost exactly as I had planned it in my head. The original quilt was planned to be longer so that I could include a full circle applique for the ring, but the dimensions just didn't work so I took out a complete row to shorten the quilt. I mulled over lots of quilting ideas, most of which were rejected on the basis of the time they would have taken to complete and went in the end for a straightforward diamond lattice. Even that though wasn't without its challenges as I used a slightly thicker thread with a sheen and I think my machine is still in shock, as the tension has gone to pot since the quilting! Hopefully a rest will sort it out.


As taking out the row left a fair bit of blank space below the ring I added the embroidered phrase just to break it up a bit.

I am not 100% sure of the white quilting lines over the Ace and Diamond blocks but other than that I am pretty happy with the whole thing, and pleased to have completed my first ever challenge!

This means that another project has moved from the ongoing list to the completed list, which is always a good feeling and in a burst of productivity I have cut out the fabrics for my May WIP for 12 WIP's in 2012. This month's WIP to be completed will be a patchwork bag and in keeping with the current Jubilee and Olympic vibe at home I have gone for red, white and blue fabrics! One of our sons will be a volunteer at the Olympics, but I can't see him using the bag when it is finished somehow, can you?

 All this progress has obviously gone to my head as not only have I signed up for the In the Bag Ugly Fabric challenge but have also joined Grammie Q's Sunday Morning Quilts Bee and Plum and June's Let's Get Acquainted Blog Hop. Let's hope the energy burst continues :)

So here's how my current project list looks
Completed projects

  • Shades of Green, Fleur Bleu, Checkered Heart, Orange and Reindeer cushions
  • Orphan Block needle roll, Pieced Arc Tea towel, Purse and Padded Hangers Tutorial
  • Sunflower and Sew Happy QAL quilts
  • All blocks of FPPFTT
  • Sibling Together 20 Blocks sent and received  
  • First crochet project
  • Play mini-quilt challenge quilt
Ongoing

  • 3 blocks of In Color Order HST BOM (2 blocks behind schedule)
  • (Almost) Irish Chain quilt basted
  • 4 Zakka-style SAL projects completed (3 projects behind schedule)
  • First border of teatime quilt completed, blocks calculated and fabric cut
  • 5 blocks of NY Beauty QAL completed and fabric cut for remaining 5 blocks
  • 8 blocks of Craftsy BOM completed (on schedule)  
  • Yellow rainbow cushion waiting to be appliqued
  • Patchwork Block Bag fabrics cut  
  • In the Bag Ugly Fabric fabrics sent waiting for swap fabric to arrive

Waiting

  • Indigo and violet rainbow cushions
  • Last block of Sampler quilt
  • Amy Butler bag
  • Bag Making Bible Fashionista Bag
  • Dragon Bag
  • Christmas mini quilts 
Linking up to We did it Wednesday here and Esther's WOW WIP Wednesday here

17 comments:

  1. I love it! It turned out great especially with the diamond in the middle of the mini. You did a fantastic job Fiona! Can't wait to see what you finish next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Heather, Once I remembered the glittery fabric I knew I was on the right track!

      Delete
  3. Oh well done with your inspired mini! It's fantastic and I love the diamond!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you have lots of exciting things going on - glad you are able to do the blog hop. Your mini is great - That was a neat fabric to choose for the diamond.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adding the embroidery under the diamond ring was a good idea! It sounds like you work well under pressure. I don't mind a bit of pressure to spur me on. You are organised with Christmas things on your list!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your mini looks fantastic and the quilting looks perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Play submission looks fantastic! Great job on so many firsts! I like how the diamond looks sparkly with the fabric you chose and the diamond pattern in the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The diamond ring in the middle looks fab. I love the fabric you've used in the middle, it almost looks like it's shimmering and glittering in the light!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks fab, well done you for working all that out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a typical quilter to me, lots on the go, which keeps us very motivated I believe????? Your A mini looks great, keep having fun. Cheers Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Ace of Diamonds is wonderful! The ring is such a clever idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done on your first paper pieced design! Love your Play mini quilt - you did such a great job. The diamond quilting is perfect for it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so cute! Love the diamond in the middle and the diamond quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It turned out really well! The phrase is such a creative touch...mine is still in the works. Woops :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I totally feel the same way about the creative and productive burst of energy! I've been on a roll and am trying to keep it going as well! Great job on the Ace of Diamonds!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yours looks fabulous! Great job with the paper piecing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...