Wednesday 19 September 2012

Uglies tumbled!

Isn't it amazing what a looming deadline can do to productivity levels? Having cut out my tumblers for the In the Bag Ugly Fabric challenge, my normal activity would include a bit of procrastination and diversionary tactics before knuckling down to finish a quilt. With an end of the month deadline looming and a road trip to France and back to fit in before then the usual activity levels just wouldn't cut it. My sewing machine didn't know what had hit it, the tumblers were pieced before I knew it. Not exactly according to my original layout I have to admit, as the plan got lost in a couple of places with all the twisting of pieces back and forward. With these fabrics though that was never going to be much of a problem :)




I went with echo quilting for all of the tumblers except for the flash of pink which I quilted with a varying horizontal zigzag. The quilt was backed and bound with a plain rust cotton. I had thought of piecing the back but decided that would take up too much of my already limited time.



I have never put together a quilt (even a mini!) in such a short time, so I have definitely learnt that sometimes it is better to just go for it than to spend too much time procrastinating (sorry planning). One other lesson I have learnt from this challenge is that if it says ugly in the title it probably means it :)

I must have had these fabrics on my mind on our recent trip to Helsinki as this shop display took my eye!

Much classier!


It has been a while since I looked at my WIP list so this is what it looks like now

Completed projects

  • Shades of Green, Fleur Bleu, Checkered Heart, Orange, Sunflower and Reindeer cushions
  • Orphan Block needle roll, Pieced Arc Tea towel, Purse and 
  • Padded Hangers, Key/Coin tidy, Babushka backpack and Nautical Pillow tutorials posted
  • Sunflower, Sew Happy QAL and In the Bag Ugly Fabric quilts, Play  and Christmas mini-quilt challenge quilt 
  • Patchwork Block, Dragon and Fashionista Bags
Ongoing

  • 7 blocks of In Color Order HST BOM (1 block behind schedule)
  • (Almost) Irish Chain quilt basted
  • 9/24 Zakka-style SAL projects completed
  • Teatime quilt pieced, backed and basted 
  • 5 blocks of NY Beauty QAL completed and fabric cut for remaining 5 blocks
  • 14 blocks of Craftsy BOM completed (1 month behind schedule) 
  • 10 Summer Quilt Bee blocks completed (on schedule)
  • 3 Star of Africa Bee blocks completed and sent (on schedule)
Waiting

  • Indigo and violet rainbow cushions
  • Last block of Sampler quilt
  • Amy Butler bag
  • Travelling Pic Stitch Blog Hop project 

Maybe it is not looking so bad after all!  Looking forward to seeing how everyone else is progressing.

Don't forget to check out this week's blogs on the Let's Get Acquainted Blog Hop and Beth's
great giveaway.

Sep 18
       Lina from Smultronbo's Pieceful
       Chase from 1/4" mark

Sep 20
        Jen from Closet Quilter
        Anna from Pink Padme


Linking up to WIP Wednesday  and We Did it Wednesday

13 comments:

  1. Your ugly fabrics quilt looks great! What a brilliant way to use them. It looks very autumnal too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tumbler quilt looks great. And it is perfect for this time of year. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tumblers are wonderful. Finished is always better than perfect! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, sometimes ploughing on through is the way to go. Especially when the fabric is that bad lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. The tumblers turned out well - I'm impressed at how well you put the uglies together! The quilting looks fab too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm guilty of too much 'planning', too... definitely slows down the process. In this case, I think you were very wise to just Do It, as procrastinating wasn't going to make those pink pieces disappear. You've done a great job. Love the quilting you can see on the back!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The fabrics look *much* better in your quilt than they did before!! Very autumnal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations - I couldn't imagine what you could do with that fabric selection (I'd have run a mile or more!!). It looks great! I'd love to know what ugly fabrics you sent in for this challenge and what became of them.

    Deadlines certainly focus the mind ... I'm transfixed right now by the fact that I haven't made one single Christmas present and I'm usually almost finished. Very unsettling!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great quilt for Uglies! And oh yes, I tend to be a planner! I want it to be perfect and match what is in my minds eye! Your quilting on the back looks great! Oooh a trip to France - sounds wonderful -safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks really great considering what you had to work with! I love the reverse of the quilt, really shows off the quilting.
    I spend/waste far too much time on planning! A deadline definitely sharpens the brain!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome job with the 'uglies'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done on the uglies, sometimes you just have to get at it, it really didn't help that the fabric in this quilt was UGLY but it looks so much better than I thought it would look, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent use of a very unusual (and otherwise rather ugly) bag of fabrics. Great pattern choice. This did turn out quite nice! ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...