Monday 24 June 2013

Kitchen Cocktails

I recently came across an article about making flavoured vodka in the dishwasher and thought I might give it a go sometime. It is my son's fiancee's birthday this week and as she is a girl who loves her cocktails, it seemed like the perfect opportunity to try it out.

If cocktails are your thing too, here is what you need - one bottle of vodka, mine was a 70cl bottle, and one 4 oz/100g bag of hard-boiled sweets. I bought my Saltire sweets on a recent trip to the Scottish Borders with this project in mind, I thought they were an appropriate reminder for my soon-to-be daughter-in-law, of the Scottish side of the family :)

I have seen recipes for the flavoured vodka using jelly babies or Gummi bears, but the recommendations are that hard-boiled sweets/candies are the most successful. Anyhow, it seems a bit gruesome to be cutting up babies and teddy bears and then dousing them in vodka, but that might just be me :)

First up, you need to grind up the sweets/candies. I used a coffee grinder to do this until I had a powder like granulated sugar, as you can see above. Then decant about a glass of vodka from the bottle.


Tip the powdered sweets into the bottle, replace the cap and wrap the bottle in a double layer of cling film.

Place the wrapped bottle on the shelf of your dishwasher. ( Linda isn't your potholder a great match for my vodka?)

Put your dishwasher on at a Hot Wash Setting, 70 degrees, and then let the dishwasher do all the work.

When the programme is finished remove the bottle from the dishwasher, remove the cling film and leave the bottle to cool down. If you have used jelly-like sweets to flavour your vodka you may need to strain the vodka at this point, but I didn't need to with the powdered, hard-boiled sweets.

Keep the flavoured vodka in the freezer until you are ready to serve up some cocktails. It might be best to invite some friends round as I gather that once opened the flavoured vodka should be drunk within 1 week. I haven't tested this yet though, so might need to make another bottle to try out the theory!

As it happens I have another bag of bright orange Irn Bru flavoured sweets set aside for exactly this purpose :) Irn Bru for the non-Scot is known as "Scotland's other national drink" the first, naturally, being whisky, which incidentally it partners with very well apparently. Not being a whisky drinker I will have to take that on trust.

I hope this has brightened up your Monday morning and do let me know if you find a great combination that I should try.

If nothing else this might encourage adult offspring to empty the dishwasher more often, which will be a result in itself :)

Don't forget to link up tomorrow if you have tried something New to You this month too.



Linking up to 

 plum and june


17 comments:

  1. What a great idea! If only my dishwasher hadn't been a glorified ornament for the past 18 months! #@#**@

    (it's broken and hubbie insists that we don't need a new one :,(

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a brilliant idea! Love the colour it turned it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! That has put a smile on my face. Irn bru vodka sounds awesome. I think you could get very drunk on that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me at vodka......:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This made me smile. An excellent alcoholic experiment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This made me smile. An excellent alcoholic experiment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow sweetie vodka :))))) must have made the pot holder just for the bottle of vodka to stand on !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have made vodka jellies in the past, but I have never heard of making flavoured vodka in the dishwasher!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vodka jellies sound good too. We could have a whole vodka-based dinner party going on Elizabeth :)

      Delete
  9. And you haven't tasted it yet??!?! I think in the name of research you need to do some extensive testing before!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant idea! We've done fruit vodka before, but this looks like even more fun (and much quicker / less messy!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what a great tute to link up, makes a great change from quilts and pouches, let us know how it turned out! Thx for linking up. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG I am in awe! I have never heard of such a thing. Now I want to try!! I read this post aloud to hubs coz I was so amazed and he wants to try too.love the coloured yours turned out too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow, think I need to look for some boiled sweets!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never had a dishwasher, this is the first time I wished I did lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing! I don't know how I missed this post before!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh gosh thinking aniseed vodka yum

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...