Friday 21 August 2015

A word to the wise

I am pleased to say that I managed to finish my charm square quilt in time to take with me on our recent trip to visit friends.

Last time I blogged about the quilt the blocks looked like this

and this is what they became!

It was a close run thing though, I was still stitching the binding on late in the evening before we were heading off, and the completed quilt only came out of the dryer about 1 hour before we were due to leave :)

The random line quilting was inspired by similar in Elizabeth Hartman's Practical Guide to Patchwork book. Ideally I would have quilted this more densely but the choice between more quilting and finishing in time was an easy one to make.

I couldn't resist taking photos of the quilt with the backdrop of a beach just up the coast from where this quilt now resides. I think it will fit in well, don't you?

This was such an economical quilt to make too. The backing you can see above was cotton sheeting bought in the bedding factory shop in Riga before we moved back home, the binding was left over from the Siblings Together quilt, the text charm squares were from the Texty Charm Swap I took part in on Flickr and the white for the blocks was a sale purchase several moons ago!

The pattern for this quilt was in the Aug/Sept 2013 issue of Quilt Magazine. I have hoarded this magazine for all this time as I knew that I wanted to make this particular quilt someday, so I am delighted to have finally got around to it.

Two quilts finished in the space of a week or so, I don't know what has come over me :)

If you have a finish that is Christmas or Holiday related this month, don't forget to link it up to the Ho, Ho, Ho and on We Sew Link Party over at Sunshine through the Rain

There is a £10 gift voucher from the Village Haberdashery up for grabs for one lucky linker!

Linking up to Crazy Mom Quilts

  Confessions of a Fabric Addict

15 comments:

  1. Whoop Whoop for you CT! I love that photo of the quilt at the beach. A fun way to use charm squares!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great quilt for charm squares! Especially the random left overs. The random straight line quilting is perfect. And I love the beach photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two quilts finished in one week - way to go, Fiona!!! The random line quilting looks very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! Such a sweet, simple quilt. And love the beach backdrop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute quilt. Pinned, researched, on the to do list. Though I may not be able to find that magazine. Can you tell me the width of the sashing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely quilt and such a lovely setting on the beach. Congrats on 2 quilts finished in a week - you must have been working hard!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the photo by the beach and that looks a fab backing too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great finish! I'm sure that it will be well loved and used.

    ReplyDelete
  9. quilt iss lovely a good way to use charm squares. Re the backing I am struggling to find some and hope to track down sheeting so I do not have to piece them yours is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, I thought I knew what you were making, but I was wrong! So have you put thin borders on two sides and wider ones on the other two? It's a fab result, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great quilt, well done on finishing it so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Two quilts in one week! Congrats :D This is lovely. It will make a great gift :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that random line quilting and beach shot is great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The random line quilting really suits this one, Fiona! The beach picture is lovely too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...