Friday 25 September 2015

New to Me in September

Welcome to another New to Me Link Party!

The Link Party where we celebrate the trying of something new, whether it was ultimately successful or not :)

New to Me's are fairly thin on the ground this month, unless I count in new wines or restaurants tried on our holiday in France, where there were lots!

My only crafty New to Me was the completion of the mount for my first attempt at counted canvaswork.

The fabric mount was backed with double-sided fusible web and then ironed to the mount board. If I hadn't seen it done at the EG workshop, I would definitely have been a bit sceptical about the process, but it does work :)

I am really pleased with how it looks and would definitely like to have another go at this. Next time though I will increase the size of the mount board slightly, as the current size 7.5"/19cm square is just that bit too small for commercially available frames, so I will need to pay a visit to the local framer to have it framed eventually.

My second New to Me is crafty, but not by me!

On our recent trip to N.Ireland I stumbled across a poster for a textile art exhibition in the Tourist Information Office in Ballycastle. Well, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to see that, now could I??

The textile artist exhibiting was Eibhlin McCarry who does the most beautiful work with scraps of fabric and felt embellished with machine and hand embroidery.


These embellished felt pieces representing the Nine Green Glens of Antrim were amazing, but my favourite piece was this one entitled Sea, Sand and Shingle.


Indeed, I liked it so much that I did something I have never done before and rang up Eibhlin on the spot and arranged to buy it! Of course as part of the exhibition it had to stay in-situ until the close, so it is only now that I actually have the picture in my hands. A wonderful and lasting memory of a great holiday.

So that's my New to Me's for this month, now it is your turn to link up and share your successes or failures as we celebrate the trying of something new.

As ever please help to spread the word by linking back to this post in your post and/or adding the blog button to your sidebar.



Check out the other links too and, maybe, leave an encouraging comment along the way. The emphasis of this link party is to celebrate the trying of something new, whether it works out exactly as planned or not, so a little encouragement here and there would not go amiss! 

The link will remain open until 23.59GMT on September 30th, so you have some time to try something new and link up and join the party :) If your New to Me involves a Christmas or Holiday project then don't forget to link up to this month's Ho, Ho, Ho and on We Sew Link Party too, you could just win a Skinny Dips bundle of fabric from Plush Addict for your efforts :)



You will find the Ho, Ho, Ho and On We Sew Link Party this month at Practically Pippy


Looking forward to seeing what you have been up to this month!



9 comments:

  1. The fabric you chose for your framing is so perfect. I don't know that I would have considered a big print, so it's fun to see that it works so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new to me frame looks good, I've not done anything new this month so I can't share!
    Good for you buying a textile art piece, I'm sure the artist was very encouraged by your enthusiasm.

    ukcitycrafter@live.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. So that purchase was a new to you !!!! Good for you, too often we see something we love but dither and then lose it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. a lovely piece of canvas work and well done mounting it yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your canvas work looks great and the fabric you chose is just right to finish it off.
    I love the art work you purchased; isn't that the kind of work we all wish we had thought of making ourselves? [Sigh!!]

    ReplyDelete
  6. love your fabric mount for your piece - it's such an extension of your work, just perfect. Yay for impulse buying something because you love it and have to have it. Simon and I recently did exactly the same and bought a ceramic piece on a trip to Seattle, we were both drawn to it and loved it - now that never happens, so we just had to buy it. I haven't heard of Eibhlin before so now I'm away to check out her work - Chris :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your canvas work is do pretty - love the mount you chose - and I really like the picture you bought too; great way to remember your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the rich colours in that piece :) Usually on my first run of a project I find several things I want to do differently - if I don't write them down somewhere, though, I'm guaranteed to forget them the next time I try the same thing, lol!

    The embellished pieces are awesome - I opened them up on another screen so I could see the full pictures - I could almost feel the texture through my computer screen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never mount any of my work, so thanks for the inspiration! Congratulations on a lovely new purchase too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...