Wednesday 25 May 2016

Beadazzled!

Welcome to this month's New to Me Link Party, where we celebrate the successes and failures of trying something new:)

This month I have been trying my hand at embroidering with beads, several times in fact.

There were beads as bunches of grapes climbing up the walls of the Stitcher's Cottage.

Beads for the splashy little duck in this mini kit from Ann's Orchard Needlework

and beads in my EG piece for the Capability Brown exhibition!


It could be said that I have had beads on the brain recently :)

The Stitcher's Cottage is also my first ever embroidery piece to be exhibited locally, so doubles up on the New to Me front. It was a bit nerve wracking watching people examine it and trying not to listen in to any comments, well at least not obviously!

I have also been trying my hand at silk painting for an embroidered picture. Several of the pieces on display at the exhibition had used this technique, so I was inspired to give it a go.


 This photo of Arran was the inspiration for the piece, so I hope that I can ultimately do it justice.

The fabric in the hoop has been dampened and painted with water colour paint, and (apparently) I will be dry painting the centre where the mountain ranges are in the next class. Should be interesting!

I have also tested this New to Me pattern for Sew Sweetness' Annex Double-Zip Box pouch.



So, that's my New to Me's now it is your turn. As ever please help to spread the word by linking back to this post in your post and/or adding the blog button to your sidebar.




Celtic Thistle Stitches



Check out the other links too and, maybe, leave an encouraging comment along the way. The emphasis of this link party is to celebrate the trying so a little encouragement here and there would not go amiss! 
The link will remain open until 23.59GMT on May 31st, so you have some time yet to try something new and link up and join the party :)






If your New to Me involves some Christmas or Holiday crafting don't forget to link it up to this month's Ho, Ho, Ho and on We Sew Link Party here

You could win this great Clock Making Kit to kickstart your gift crafting :)

Courtesy of the lovely people at






6 comments:

  1. another great skill you have taken to like a duck to water especially liking the little cottage. Did not realise you could use water colour paints for fabric, presume though the item will not wash, it looks a good scene you are going to create. Good pouch for a man too you have done there

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the beading and the silk painting, looking forward to seeing how this develops. I've shared three new to mes this month: my first trip to Austin; my new newsletter and my first class at Quilting By The Lake - Chris :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you have been busy! The silk painting looks beautiful even before you've stitched it xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been super busy, Fiona. How nerve wracking, and interesting at the same time, to see your work on display. Looking forward to seeing your painting finished.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've had a great month! I love everything you've made. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your silk painting :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Busy busy busy - keeps you out of mischief? Very impressed with the silk painting!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...