Friday 26 April 2013

Mixing - Retro style

When Kristy launched her second set of Sew Retro kitchen-themed paper-piecing patterns in her Craftsy store just after we launched the 
  it seemed like perfect timing!



With the swap deadline fast approaching I knew I had to stop procrastinating (story of my life!) and decide which of the patterns to try. I was spoilt for choice but in the end decided to have a go at the Mixing Bowl.

Insulated pot mat


As with all of Kristy's patterns it was really straightforward to put together. There was one small blip, entirely self-inflicted, when I realised I had used the wrong fabric for one of the pieces :(  As, by the time I discovered it, the entire block had already been put together I closed my eyes, counted to ten and swiftly moved on :) Hopefully,  my swap partner will not be too upset by it!



The 10" block was the perfect size to be made into a worktop protector, so with some Insul-Brite wadding and an appropriately themed backing fabric that is what it became.  I quilted straight lines across the worktop section and in the centre of the mixing bowl, and then braved FMQ'ing for the background! Now all I need to do is write up my recipe for my partner and with my apron already done and dusted the package will be ready to send.


Insulated mat back


I have already printed out a few more of the patterns as my own hotpads and pot stands currently leave a lot to be desired!

If you have tried paper-piecing for the first time or anything else New to You in April don't forget to link up here to this month's Link party.



Linking up this finish to 

Crazy Mom Quilts

 

UndertheTableandDreaming

12 comments:

  1. What a pretty bowl - I love the blue touches and the cloisonne look of the bowl's fabric. Yeah, I need to do something about our hot pad collection, and I sure could use a table-top hot pad for spot pressing upstairs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like it and love your fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found myself looking for the piece that was the wrong fabric, and I don't see anything wrong with this at all. I think it turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks wonderful! I'm sure she'll love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great mixing bowl! I'm sure your partner will love it regardless a misplaced fabric ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I only found the mistake because you'd mentioned it!! It's a lovely gift to go with the apron

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't see anything out of place, Fiona. It looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great block! I have also made one...don'tknow what to with it yet, but I will think of something , LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! It turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is so cute! I love the backing too, just perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...