Wednesday 22 January 2014

And Quilting On!

Having completed the HST BOM this month already, I am all enthused to tick another one of the list!

So this week's sewing has all been about my And Sew On BOM wallhanging. Having decided not to make the final block to have instead a 2 x 4 arrangement of the blocks, I dug out some appropriately themed fabric for the sashing  and some calico for the backing. The back will rarely see the light of day, so it made sense to use a plain, basic fabric for the back.





Apologies for the odd angle of the photo, the quilt is presently draped across the top of the sofa bed in my sewing room, and no I haven't taken to sleeping with my sewing machine!

I have quilted in the ditch around the blocks and straight line quilted the sashing blocks and borders, but now I am a bit stuck. I am not really sure how to quilt the blocks. Whilst quilting the sashing I was watching Leah Day's  Free Motion Quilting Class on Craftsy, so was feeling all ambitious about tackling different Free Motion Quilting patterns in the various blocks, but I am not 100% convinced that that is the way to go, so suggestions would be very welcome :)




Recently, Catherine at Knotted Cotton was looking for someone to go halves with her on a purchase of Oakshott Cottons. Having never bought any Oakshott before, it seemed like the ideal opportunity to experience the loveliness of these fabrics without breaking the bank! This bundle of loveliness arrived in the post this week, and I have been admiring them ever since. Now I know what all the fuss is about, they are just beautiful!

Post of a different kind, but no less welcome, has been pinging into my email all week too. The list of giveaway sponsors for the Ho,Ho,Ho and on We Sew Link party just gets longer and longer!




This month's giveaway is the wonderful Ornamental and Sew Seasonal Pattern Bundle from Quiet Play's Craftsy store

The Link Party is open over at Mud, Pies and Pins until the end of the month so there is still plenty of time to get started on your Christmas and Holiday projects and link them up to be in with a chance of winning.

If you are looking to add some Christmas Fabric to your stash check out the Christmas Sale at the Fat Quarter Shop. Check out too the generous sponsors we have lined up for you in the coming months!

Quilting Fabric at the Fat Quarter Shop Backstitch - Hemingford GreyBustleandSewPhotobucketPosie: Rosy Little Things Ray Stitch Haberdashery

That's enough WIP's to be going on with for now I think :)

Linking up to

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced 

16 comments:

  1. Well done on the paper pieced finish, it looks great, and well done for taking the leap into the wonderful world of Oakshott, isn't it fab!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the quilt is coming along well and those new fabrics look very nice, I don`t think I have had any of theirs yet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool you made good progress. I always feel very ambitious and thinking I'll try some FMQ and I chicken out later on, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the wall hanging. Do you need to quilt the blocks? Really tricky as you don't want the quilting to take away from them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh I am addicted to Oakshotts too. There is something very special about them. Love the wall hanging - I have Leah Day's Craftsy course too and found it really good although I'm still too chicken to try it on my first quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great wall hanging. I need to get busy soon and finish something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's an awesome block with the pair of scissors!!! Look forward to seeing the wallhanging finished.

    ReplyDelete
  8. maybe don't quilt the blocks. it seems like quite a lot of people leave paper pieced blocks unquilted especially if they are really detailed? It is looking lovely with the sashing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your wallhanging looks great! I've been trying to figure out how to quilt these ones too, but no ideas yet. Not very helpful, I know, but at least you know you're not alone in feeling uncertain!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the wall hanging. It looks amazing. You have been busy on working on your list. I'm still working away on the cross stitch, I will get at least one thing done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are getting all kinds of work done over at your place! The wall hanging looks great and I can't wait to see what you do with the Oak Shots! Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I get all these ambitious thoughts about FMQ too, and it never seems to match the ideas in my head or the books lol Loving the Oakshott pile :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. quilting those paper pieced blocks are a challenge, but I think you can come up with something brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very productive at your place, rub some off on me please!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think that some FMQ would look fab on those blocks! Outline the shapes & then go to town with the squiggles or whatever path your needle takes. It's a great wallhanging. I'm looking forward to seeing how you finish it up!

    http://www.busyneedle.ch

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm in the same position with my and sew on. I quilted the borders and sashing and don't know what to do about the blocks. Mine do need quilting as it's a quilt and one or two seams have come loose

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...