Friday 4 December 2015

A stylish sewing bag!

The class that my daughter-in-law and I attended recently at Just Quilting was to make a quilted bag for sewing accessories.

Regular readers will not be surprised to know that deciding which fabric to take with me for the class took up an awful lot of time in the night before we were due to go. I finally went for the half yard of Mary Thistle from Pretty Potent by Anna Maria Horner that has been lurking in my stash just waiting for the perfect project to come along.


And this was it!

We quilted the exterior fabric first, which took me twice as long as everyone else as I went for crosshatch quilting instead of the much quicker and easier vertical lines that my fellow classmates chose :)

Although I had brought along some fabrics from my stash to use for the binding, when I saw the bright blue plain bolt on the shelf at Just Quilting, it was definitely calling to me and I am delighted that I listened to that call. It was by far a better match for that gorgeous thistle print than any of the fabrics I had pulled from the stash.



The bag has ribbon tied sides and you can imagine how pleased I was to discover ribbon that was the perfect match ready and waiting to be used in my very jumbled ribbon bag. Don't you just love when that happens?

The interior of the bag has two divided pockets and one gathered pocket. I hadn't made a gathered pocket before and I think that I should have made the elastic a bit tighter as it tends to gape, but other than that I am thrilled to bits with my stylish new sewing bag. Hopefully, my stitching will be as stylish as the bag soon too :)

Linking up to Crazy Mom Quilts
Elm Street Quilts



13 comments:

  1. So fiddly and so beautifully made! How lucky to get that perfect blue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it when heaven and earth align. Looks delightful. Hope you will be keeping it since it has thistles on it . : ) A Christmas present for you ! Janita

    ReplyDelete
  3. That blue binding is so perfect! The bag is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous bag, Fiona. The cross hatch quilting was worth the extra time - looks great. And the blue binding is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great pouch/bag, the ribbon detail lifts it to a higher plain and the thistle fabric is lovely, wonder what you will use it for, no doubt there will be more made too, they would make lovely gifts and I am sure demand would be high if you sell them

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh that binding and ribbon are perfect! So does it open flat if you untie the ribbon? It looks a really useful bag xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that's a gorgeous bag - I thought that the blue binding was a co-ordinating fabric to the gorgeous print - that was a serendipitous find! Did you get all that done in the class, or did you have "homework"? :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is very stylish. Perfect fabric and ribbon choices and the cross hatch looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great bag and those fabrics are gorgeous and bright.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, just perfect! I love it xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fantastic bag! Great fabric combos. Thanks for stitching along with Elm Street Quilts Bag It.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I read and appreciate every one! I will reply by email unless you are a no-reply blogger, in which case you will need to check back in the comments list for my reply, sorry!

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to the level of spam comments I have been receiving lately, sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...